|Farm building is a Townstreet kit painted with Winton oil paints.|
|Farm buildings are Townstreet kits painted with Winton oil paints. Stone walls are made using Das modelling clay.|
|The uncompleted area behind the farm building will feature more accommodation, a clothes line and so on. The upper right area is reserved for a scratchbuilt barn.|
|Cobblestones (Setts) are made using Das modelling clay, washed with a dilute ink then painted with Winton oils and finally weathering powders.|
I have seen some very effective results by skilled modellers scribing stonework on dried or cured Das. I have tried this but find it is rather time consuming and my scribing skills are, shall we say, average. I thought about this issue and decided to try stamping the Das while it was still damp. There being little really new in the modelling world I want to at this point acknowledge the fine work of Iain Robinson for setting me on the path to this method. Iain describes in his inspirational blog making a styrene stamper and confesses to 'stealing' that idea from Allan Downes. In the same spirit of sharing I offer my variation, which is simply to make a series of individual stamps from suitable pieces of brass, as shown below. The crude handles are made from Milliput. The cork is mainly used to protect the end of scalpels. I used it in this case to allow positioning of the end of the stamp for the photo, not because I have been drinking bubbly. At least not today. :)
A spare piece of hard, thin plastic was cut to the shape of the yard and was covered with a thin smear of Weldbond. I'm sure any decent wood glue would do. I use Weldbond as I am familiar with its properties and it gives good results. A thin layer of Das modelling clay was pressed flat to the required thickness on the glue covered sheet. The glue bonds the Das to the plastic base.
While the clay was still damp I pressed each sett (or cobblestone) using the brass stamp, one sett at a time. I wanted to have a look that was not strictly regular and doing it by hand achieves that. It doesn't take all that long and mistakes can be rectified easily enough before the Das dries.
Once dry I gave it an ink wash and when that was dry used Winton oil paints to shade it. When the oil paint was fully dry I used Mig weathering powders, mainly towards some of the edges.